Financial Aid & Scholarships

Scholarship Resources



*Please be wary of scholarship scams. You should not have to pay any amount of money or provide banking information to receive financial aid. Check your sources. 



Which application do I fill out?

  • FAFSA or CADAA, + CSS Profile (if your college requires it)

FAFSA: Free Application for Federal Student Aid

The FAFSA is the application used to apply for financial aid from the federal and state governments, including federal Pell Grants, as well as financial aid from colleges. To apply for a Cal Grant, you must complete the FAFSA between October 1st and March 2nd. The district office has submitted the Cal Grant GPA for our seniors and the Cal Grant GPA Verification Form will no longer be needed.

CADAA: California Dream Act Application

The California Dream Act allows undocumented and nonresident students (U.S. Citizens and eligible non-citizens) who qualify for a non-resident exemption under Assembly Bill 540 (AB 540) to receive certain types of financial aid such as: private scholarships funded through public universities, state-administered financial aid, university grants, community college fee waivers, and Cal Grants. In addition, the California Dream Act, allows eligible students to pay in-state tuition at any public college in California.

CSS Profile: College Scholarship Service Profile

The CSS Profile is a supplemental financial aid application administered by College Board. This is typically needed by private and some out-of-state colleges in order to receive institutional aid from the university itself. Each school has different requirements and deadlines for their CSS Profile, make sure to check with your college for their specifics. Full List of Participating Institutions

Cal Grants

The Cal Grant is a California-specific financial aid allocation that does not need to be paid back. Cal Grant applicants must apply for the FAFSA or CADAA by the deadline and meet all eligibility, financial, and minimum GPA requirements of either program. Grants are for students attending University of California, California State University or California Community College, or qualifying independent and career colleges or technical schools in California.

*Fremont USD will be uploading all GPA's for current seniors for Cal Grant consideration. Other than completing the FAFSA or CADAA application, no additional forms/paperwork are required for the Cal Grant GPA Verification. Check your status on your WebGrants account: WebGrants 4 Students


More information:

Fund your Future Workbook: More financial aid information & resources!

Blue & Gold Scholarships- Students admitted to UC campuses may be eligible for the Blue & Gold awards if your family income is below $80,000. Visit the link for full details:

The California Dream Act of 2011, authored by Assembly Member Gil Cedillo (Los Angeles), became law through the passage of two Assembly Bills.

AB 130 allows students who meet AB 540 criteria (California Education Code 68130.5(a)) to apply for and receive non-state funded scholarships for public colleges and universities.

AB 131 allows students who meet AB 540 criteria to apply for and receive state-funded financial aid such as institutional grants, community college fee waivers, Cal Grant and Chafee Grant.


(1) High school attendance in California for three or more years.

(2) Graduation from a California high school or attainment of the equivalent thereof.

(3) Registration as an entering student at, or current enrollment at, an accredited institution of higher education in California not earlier than the fall semester or quarter of the 2001-02 academic year.

(4) In the case of a person without lawful immigration status, the filing of an affidavit with the institution of higher education stating that the student has filed an application to legalize his or her immigration status, or will file an application as soon as he or she is eligible to do so.

Apply here

Educational Opportunities Program (EOP) is a CSU program that works with first generation, California residents, and low-income students.

Need help paying for your CSU education?  Check out the information below:

Financial Aid Information for Undocumented Students

Scholarship Resource

Ways to minimize your student loan debt:

  1. 1. Aim to graduate in four years!
  2. 2. Apply for all scholarships you are eligible for
  3. 3. Work part-time during the summer
  4. 4.  Explore 2 + 2 options
  5. 5.  Create a budget and stick to it, don't use your loan money for unnecessary expenses like spring break trips!
  6. 6.  Research your future salary, this can help you calculate how much loan debt you can actually afford to repay along with your living expenses.
  7. 7.  Be smart about changing your major.  Changing majors may lead to additional course requirements, which could affect your plan to graduate in four years.  Stay on top of the required courses and complete them as quickly as possible.  Remember some may be offered only at night or in certain semesters.
  8. 8.  Make it a priority to meet with the counseling office each semester to help keep you on track.

Saving for college...

ScholarShare College Savings Plan:

First and foremost, students and their families are encouraged to save money for college expenses. The state of California offers ScholarShare, a federal tax code 529 College Savings Plan, that is a federal and state tax-free program as long as it is used later for qualified college expenses. You can open an account with as little as $15 when setting up automatic investments and choose from a number of low-cost investment options that allow you to watch the investment grow over time. The money can then be used at any accredited college nationwide as well as many international schools. Learn more by visiting their website or calling toll-free 800-544-5248.