Attendance Procedures

Important Things To Know

Office Hours: 7:30 AM - 4:00 PM

   Fax: 510-791-5331

Here you will find Useful Information for:

  • Report an Absence
  • Arrive Late to School
  • Off Grounds Pass
  • Emergency Contacts
  • Medication at School
  • Illness at School
  • Checkout From American High School

Reporting an Absence

Parents/Guardians must communicate each day a student is absent.

Dial 510-796-1776, press 7 for Directory, press 1 for Attendance.   A 24-hour answering machine will accept your calls at all hours; be sure to leave a message.  Parents/Guardians may also email communications from their email accounts registered on Infinite Campus.  All attendance communications are logged.

When emailing or calling, provide the following information:
- Student's full name - spell the last name
- Your name and relationship to the student
- Reason for absence - please be specific

A phone call or written note is required to clear an absence. If no parent or guardian contact is made, the absence is recorded as unexcused truancy.  Our automated calling system will make two attempts daily to contact you when your student has been marked absent in one or more classes.  If your student believes the absence notation was made in error, have the student report to the Main Office to obtain instructions for a verification.  Failure to clear an unexcused absence will result in truancy.

**Note that the State of California determines which absences are excused and unexcused, not the parent/guardian.**


For specific policy information, please refer to FUSD's Parent/Guardian & Student Handbook on School Attendance.


Late Arrival to School

Students must check in at the Attendance Office before going to class if they arrive to campus late. An admit pass will be issued with the noted arrival time. Parents/guardians should call, email or send a note with the reason for late arrival.


Off Grounds Pass

To leave campus during the school day, students must bring a note from parent/guardian to the Main Office before school starts.  They will be issued an Off Grounds Pass which allows them to leave class early.  If a parent/guardian does not send a notice, they must come to the Main Office to sign out a student during the school day.  Students will not be released without authorized signatures. Parent/guardian IDs are required.  If a student leaves campus without a pass, it will be considered a truancy. Make every effort to schedule doctor's appointments, haircuts, shopping, DMV tests, family vacations, etc. after school hours.


Emergency Contacts

Keep information on emergency contacts current.  This can be updated in the Infinite Campus Parent portal or by contacting the attendance clerk.  Notify attendance clerks immediately of changes in home phone/cell numbers, addresses and emergency contacts (including contacts other than the parent/guardian). Accurate information will enable us to make contact quickly in the case of an emergency.


Illness at School

If your student becomes ill at school, you will be notified of the students condition and you must make arrangements to transport your student. Do not take your student off campus without first obtaining an Off Grounds Pass. If student leaves campus without a pass, it will be considered a truancy.

Students must be fever-free for 24 hours before returning to school after an illness.

Medication at School

Students who need to take medication at school, must have the required district forms with doctor's signature on file in the office. Medication forms must be renewed each year.  Prescription medication, such as antibiotics or inhalers, and over-the-counter drugs, such as aspirin or Tylenol, may not be carried or administered at school without the proper forms. Medication At School forms may be downloaded from the Fremont Unified School District Website.  Submit the completed forms to the school nurse for processing prior to bringing medication to school.

On the last day of school, please remember to pick up any medication that was stored at school. Medication left behind will be disposed of according to district policy.


Checkout From American High School

Please plan ahead.  Before changing schools, parents/guardians must notify the Attendance Office by completing an Intent To Withdraw form.  On the last day of attendance at AHS, the student will be provided with a Checkout Sheet to circulate among school staff.  The student must return all textbooks and school-issued materials and obtain all required staff signatures.  Payment must be made at the Business Office for outstanding debts.  After completion of the checkout procedure, a transcript will be provided.

If You Move...

If you have moved out of the AHS attendance area but still live in Fremont you have the option to apply for an intra-district transfer in order to remain at American.

If you have moved out of Fremont, and still wish to attend classes at American you will need to apply for an inter-district transfer.  This starts with visiting the school in your new home area to obtain the paperwork to begin the transfer process. Thank you for your cooperation in keeping our records accurate and students attending their attendance area school to assure proper funding and staffing.