Hello, and welcome to the school counseling page! My name is Danna Ng and I'm the school counselor at Harvey Green Elementary. As a professional school counselor, my role is to work with students, teachers, and parents to ensure students reach their fullest potential in academic, social/emotional, and career development by encouraging individual competencies and providing support in the best way I can. Together as a team, we can explore ways to help your children succeed!
Why is elementary school counseling important?
Sometimes, students face various challenges that affect their learning. The goal is to provide them with a safe place to work through these challenges and learn the appropriate coping skills and social skills to become successful in all areas of their lives. Elementary school counseling plays an important part in identifying and preventing these challenges from affecting them as they grow to be confident, responsible individuals.
Services Provided by the School Counselor:
- Classroom Guidance Lessons
- Small Group Counseling
- Brief Individual Counseling
- Parent Communications/Workshops
- Community Resource Referrals
*Please note that School Counselors do not provide “mental health therapy.” All services will be brief and educationally related. Referrals for outside counseling services are available for children in need of additional support
The school counselor can help students with:
- Working well with others/friendship issues
- Feeling good and confident about themselves
- Managing feelings (stress, anger, worry etc.)
- How to be a problem-solver
- Learning to make good decisions
- Dealing with peer pressure and bullying
- Adjusting to a new school
- Grief and loss
- Assisting with anything that affects ability to learn
- Preparing for junior high
- And much more!
I’m so lucky to have the opportunity to serve the school community at Harvey Green. I look forward to building meaningful relationships and getting to know all the students and you! Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or concerns.