School Counseling Services
Why Elementary School Counseling?
- The school counseling program teaches knowledge, attitudes, and skills students need to become healthy, competent, and confident learners.
- The counselor works as a team with students, parents and community to create a caring atmosphere to support children's needs through prevention, early identification and intervention which serves as the foundation for future success.
Elementary School Counselors:
- Implement classroom guidance focusing on understanding of self and others, coping strategies, peer relationships and social skills, communication, problem-solving, decision-making, conflict resolution, study skills and career awareness.
- Provide individual and small group counseling dealing with self-image and self esteem, personal adjustment, family issues, interpersonal concerns, academic development, behavior management, peer facilitation and peer mediation.
- Provide assessment by helping students identify their skills, abilities, achievements and interests through counseling and guidance activities and interpretation of standardized tests.
- Work with specialized populations and needs that require special attention, such as culturally diverse populations and students with varying abilities.
- Provide consultation with teachers, administrators, school psychologists and outside agencies concerning the welfare of the students.
- Make appropriate referrals for special services for students and families within the school and community.
- Communicate and exchange information with parents/guardians by way of conferences, parent education workshops and newsletters.
- Participate as members of the school improvement and interdisciplinary teams and work as liaisons with parent and teacher organizations.
Individual and Group Counseling Sessions are:
- Short-term between 6-10 weeks
- Run during school hours
- Open to all students
How Does a Student See the Counselor?
- Administrative/teacher referral
- Student self-referral
- Parent/guardian referral
Last Updated: November 28, 2023