My name is Ms. Kim. I am excited to be the School Counselor at Forest Park Elementary. I feel very grateful to be part of this close-knit and welcoming community.
My passion for school counseling began at the University of Iowa where I received my Bachelor’s degree in Psychology. After working in a corporate office for a few years, I decided to go back to school to pursue Education. I earned my Master's degree in School Counseling from USC.
As a School Counselor, my primary role is to promote the academic, career, and social/emotional development of all students. I will be meeting with students individually as well as in small groups, conducting classroom counseling lessons, meeting with parents, collaborating with teachers and staff, to benefit and meet the needs of our students.
The school counselor can help students with:
- Working well with others/friendship issues
- Feeling good and confident about themselves
- Managing feelings (stress, anger, worry, etc.)
- How to be a problem-solver
- Learning to make good decisions
- Dealing with peer pressure and bullying
- Adjusting to a new school
- Grief and loss
- Assisting with anything that affects ability to learn
- Preparing for junior high
How Does a Student See the Counselor?
- Administrative/teacher referral
- Student self-referral
- Parent/guardian referral
Individual and Group counseling sessions are:
- Short-term between 6-10 weeks
- All during regular school hours
- Open to all students
I look forward to working with our students, families, and community. It’s going to be a great school year together with lots of growth and learning. If you ever have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to me.
Ms. Kim, M.Ed, PPS