Safety Tips for Parents
If a major earthquake or disaster occurs in Fremont during school hours, Oliveira Elementary has a Disaster Plan that will be put into effect.
Our goals for emergencies are:
- To prepare students and staff before a disaster occurs.
- To provide orderly accounting and release of students after a disaster.
- To provide shelter for students until they can be released to authorized adult.
What Parents Should Do After A Disaster:
- DON’T PANIC Your child will be kept safe until you arrive.
- DO NOT PHONE THE SCHOOL Office staff is needed as emergency personnel.
- WALK OR RIDE A BICYCLE to school to avoid creating traffic jams.
- GO TO THE BLACKTOP AREA and look for the Command Center on the school field.
- SIGN THE RELEASE FORM: Bring a picture ID (if possible)
- IF SCHOOL HAS BEEN EVACUATED, look for posted note outside to see the new location.
- FOOD, WATER & EMERGENCY SUPPLIES are in the shipping container by room 29.
- DURING A LOCK-DOWN (Intruder on Campus): Listen to the news. Do not come to the school until it is announced that it’s safe.
Questions & Answers:
- What should parents do if a disaster happens prior to school starting? Keep children home.
- What should parents do if a disaster occurs while they are being dropped off? Keep your children with you. Follow protocol if you are separated from them.
- What should parents do if a disaster happens during school: What if they have students at different schools? Follow protocol. Discuss rendezvous plan with family and friends. Establish a plan with family/friends to each go to one school first.
- What should parents do if a disaster occurs while they are picking up students? Follow directions above.
- What should parents do if they see something or someone unusual at school? Report it to the Office or police.
How Parents Can Help Keep Our School Safe:
- Report to the Office and get a volunteer/visitor sticker when visiting campus. It is important to minimize unauthorized adults on our campus and playground.
- DRIVE CAREFULLY during drop-off and pick-up.