Special Education Transportation
Transportation services are available for Special Education students. Eligibility for this service is determined in the student’s Individualized Education Program (IEP). If you are unsure if your student has been authorized to receive transportation services, please contact the Special Education Department at (510) 659-2569.
Please review the Special Education Parent and Driver Handbook (last revised August 2022).
New Applications Required for Each School Term
New applications for transportation services must be submitted for each school term (regular school year AND summer school/extended school year). REQUESTS FOR TRANSPORTATION SERVICES DO NOT CARRY OVER FROM YEAR TO YEAR. Failure to submit applications before posted deadlines will result in processing delays.
Applications for summer school/extended school year (ESY) are typically distributed to eligible families in the spring. Applications for regular school year are mailed to eligible families in the summer. For continuous service throughout the year, you must submit both applications before their deadlines.
Links to the transportation application (Google form) are sent to eligible families VIA EMAIL. Parents/guardians are encouraged to keep their email addresses updated with FUSD. Additionally, as FUSD uses services for mass mailing (such as Bright Arrow) to send applications, it is recommended that parents/guardians regularly monitor their email spam folders to ensure applications are not missed.
Typically, it can take up to ten (10) business days to process new applications and changes to existing service. Parents/guardians are responsible for providing transportation for their students until advised by the Transportation Department or one of our contractors that service is ready to begin. To prevent processing delays, parents/guardians should:
- Submit applications for transportation service before posted deadlines
- Notify their student’s school and the Transportation Department immediately if there is a change of address
- Contact the Transportation Department immediately to request any changes in service
Address changes must be made IN WRITING to the Special Education Coordinator, Beatriz Figueroa, via email, fax, or in person at the Transportation Department office. Address changes reported by phone will not be processed.
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: (510) 657-1589
- Address: 43770 S. Grimmer Blvd., Fremont, CA 94538
Due to a school bus driver shortage, transportation services for your student may be provided by a contractor. Presently, FUSD utilizes the services of Pawar Transportation and Student Transportation of America (STA) to assist with transporting FUSD students to and from school. Drivers for our contractors go through the same background checks & screenings as FUSD bus drivers.
Parents may request mileage reimbursement in lieu of transportation services. If reimbursement is selected, a student may not ride in a school bus or contractor vehicle.
Mileage reimbursement documents may be submitted to the Transportation Department via US Mail or dropbox at the Transportation Dept. office.
Fremont Unified School District
ATTN: Transportation (Parent Mileage Reimbursement)
43770 S. Grimmer Blvd.
Fremont, CA 94538
Please note the following mileage reimbursement document submission deadlines:
- Elementary School Students - Documents are due within one (1) week after the end of each trimester. Trimester end dates are as follows:
- End of 1st Trimester - November 9, 2023
- End of 2nd Trimester - March 1, 2024
- End of 3rd Trimester - May 31, 2024
- Middle School & High School Students - Documents are due within one (1) week after the end of each quarter. Quarter end dates are as follows:
- End of 1st Quarter - October 12, 2023
- End of 2nd Quarter - December 22, 2023
- End of 3rd Quarter - March 15, 2024
- End of 4th Quarter -May 31, 2024
- Non-Public School Students - Documents are due within one (1) week after the end of each month.
Fremont Unified School District
510-657-1450 ext. 13147
Beatriz Figueroa, Office Assistant 3 / Special Education Coordinator
510-657-1450 ext. 13103
Special Education Department
Student Transportation of America (STA)
408-998-8275 (press 1 for Dispatch)