Beginning the Year at Patterson
The beginning of any school year is very busy and full of expectations for students and parents. August and September are particularly busy at Patterson since students, parents and staff are getting accustomed to one another again and adjusting to new schedules and routines. There are opportunities to volunteer and participate in school activities such as the Fall Festival, Family Events, PTA Meetings, Art/Maker Space, Library and class celebrations, as well as assisting in the classrooms.
Here are some helpful suggestions to help make your interactions with the school go smoothly at this time of the year:
- If you are new to the school, familiarize yourself with Patterson's policies and procedures available on this website and part of the online MAZE process. For all parents, check the Weekly Folder, Patterson Newletter, PTA Post, School Bulletin Boards and the website calendar for the latest events and scheduling.
- Kindergarteners are on a different school schedule than Grades 1 to 5. Kinder students begin their day at 8:20 while our other students begin at 8:30. Kindergarten parents need to check the notices from their student's classroom teachers for the latest information about pick-up, drop-off and early days.
- During the school day, follow all requirements for visiting the school, whether it is to a classroom, for a special event, or to drop a lunch or item off for a student. Check the Visiting Patterson section for more information.
- Please follow all parking and driving rules for pick-up and drop-off. There are no left turns allowed out of the drop-off loop in the front of the school. Do not park for drop-off or pick up in the bus turn-around at the front of the school. Do not park in the handicapped zones, without a legal placard or plates. Also, do not park in Staff Parking or in the drop-off loop. All drivers must stay in their cars when using the loops in the front or back of the school. If your child needs assistance getting out of the car, you must park and walk them up. Please follow all directions from our Staff and Traffic-Safety Patrol. Remember that all traffic rules are in place for student safety.
- At the beginning of a year, everyone needs to readjust to the school schedule again. Please remember that Wednesdays are Minimum days. Grades 1 to 5 have a release time of 1:33 p.m., and Kindergarten releases at 11:50. There are also other days at the beginning of the year which have reduced schedules. Please check the school calendar to be familiar with these days and make arrangements to pick up your student on time. If your child has an after-school activity such as sports or chess, you must pick them up promptly, since the after school activity teachers have already stayed beyond normal school hours and the school office may already be closed. If you want your child to walk home, make sure that this has been communicated to the teacher.
- There are evening or weekend activities at Patterson that are sponsored by the school and the PTA. You are responsible for supervising your student(s) and children at all events since teachers, staff, and volunteers are busy running the activities. If you allow your child to go to the playground or another section of the school, please remember that there are no supervisors to watch them in those areas and you are responsible for their safety. If an event does provide daycare, you must pick-up your children promptly at the end of the event.
Thank you for your cooperation in making Patterson safe for all students!