School Preparedness: Dangerous Intruder
- If you see something, say something to an authority right away
- Be aware of your environment and any possible dangers
Make a plan
- Make a plan with your class and co-workers, and ensure everyone knows what they would do
- Look for the two nearest exits anywhere you go, and have an escape path in mind & identify places you could hide
During Intruder Event
(NOTE: these actions are not always in order - see video)
RUN and escape, if possible
HIDE, if escape is not possible
FIGHT as last resort
- Keep hands visible and empty
- Follow law enforcement instructions and evacuate in the direction they come from
Notes: Practice taking action. Remember "RUN, HIDE, FIGHT" may not be in that exact order - you may need to immediately FIGHT. Violence is appropriate to defend yourself in this type of extreme intruder situation.
Content based in part on www.ready.gov
Stay Calm: approach any emergency logically (not emotionally) – rehearse calming techniques like breathing in slowly or counting to 10 to focus before action – mindfulness and controlling your fear will save lives. Try not to freeze during a high stress situation.