Advanced Placement® (AP®) Exams
2023-2024 School Year Exam Registration
The following provides information on the Advanced Placement (AP) exam registration for the 2023-24 school year. The registration ordering window is Monday, October 2, 2023 at 4:00 PM through Monday, October 23, 2023 at 4:00 PM.
Please review this flowchart to see if you are eligible to take the test.
FUSD students are eligible to sign up for AP exams offered in their home high school. While most students will take each test at their home school, some students may be required to test at a different location. Please follow this procedure below.
- Review this list to see the list of AP exams offered at FUSD high schools.
- If the AP exam you would like to sign up for is offered at the student’s home school, follow the directions in the section titled “Registration” at the bottom of this document.
- If an FUSD AP exam is NOT offered at the student's home school, go to this Google Form and enter your information. Priority will be given to 12th and 11th grade students. Please note, it is unlikely that 9th and 10th graders will be permitted due to space constraints. Younger students have opportunities in future years.
You will need to follow these steps for each AP exam for which you want to sign up. Please note that placement of students at other testing locations will be done by FUSD staff. All students will be placed on a waiting list once enrolled. Students will be removed from the waiting list in the order below. Within each student group, priority will go to students beginning with 12th grade, 11th, 10th, then 9th.
- Students currently enrolled in the AP class
- Students who are self-studying for an AP exam
Cost and Ordering
The 2024 AP Exams cost is $120 per exam. If you require financial assistance, please email your school’s contact (listed below) or your school counselor.
The order window is Monday, October 2, 2023 at 4:00 PM through Monday, October 23, 2023 at 4:00 PM.
- October 2, 2023 through October 12, 2023: Priority registration for students currently enrolled in an Advanced Placement (AP) course associated with the registered exam.
- October 13, 2023 through October 23, 2023: Registration window opens for self-study students for eligible self-study exams.
After registration, the school’s Advanced Placement Coordinator will contact you with payment instructions or will follow up information. Registrations are to be paid for by 4:00 PM on Monday, November 6, 2023. Registrations that are not paid by 4:00 PM on Monday, November 6, 2023 will be canceled and exams will not be ordered. After students/families have ordered and paid, the following cancellation and refund deadlines apply:
- Drop an exam(s) with a full refund: Tuesday, November 7, 2023
- Drop an exam(s) with a refund minus a $45 fee (cancellation fees are paid to the College Board): Wednesday, November 8, 2023 through Wednesday, January 24, 2024
- No refunds will be issued for an exam(s) dropped after January 24, 2024
FUSD high schools offer families the ability to pay their exam fees online at the time of registration through the Total Registration website. Please be sure to have a credit card or debit card available before beginning registration.
- Students will need to register on the College Board website. In order to register, students must use the unique join codes you receive/d from your AP teachers. Each teacher and each teacher’s period has a specific join code for the course AP exam. If you don't already have a College Board account, you will need to make one. You will indicate on the site whether or not you plan to take the exam in May. If you plan to take multiple AP exams, you will need a specific join code per course per teacher per period.
- Students must also register/pay on the Total Registration site. If you already created an account last year, please use the same account log in and email. Using the same join codes mentioned above, you will register and pay for your exams.
Grade 11 and Grade 12 students, if you want to take an AP not offered at your home school, go to this Google Form and submit your information. For self-study students for eligible self-study exams, the registration window opens on Friday, October 13, 2023 at 4:00 PM through Monday, October 23, 2023 at 4:00 PM. For students submitting this request, registration instructions will be sent later.
If you do not complete the registration and payment step as outlined in the above information, an Advanced Placement exam will not be ordered for you.
Here are each FUSD school’s Total Registration links:
- American: https://totalregistration.net/AP/050974
- Irvington: https://totalregistration.net/AP/050968
- Kennedy: https://totalregistration.net/AP/050966
- Mission San Jose: https://totalregistration.net/AP/050970
- Washington: https://totalregistration.net/AP/050972
College Board and School Contacts
If students and parents have any questions about AP tests in general, they can call College Board’s AP Services for Students phone number (1-888-225-5427) or by email (firstname.lastname@example.org). College Board’s website is https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/about-ap.
Please contact the following person at each school if you have questions about registration at your school or financial assistance: