High School Education Alternatives

Fremont Unified School District recognizes the need to offer more than one path to earning a high school diploma. Student needs vary, so it is necessary that our school district, as well as the State of California, are responsive with a number of alternatives.

Robertson Alternative High School   

Robertson High School is located in the Irvington area and our district offers transportation to and from all of the high schools to Robertson each school day.  The school day at Robertson is shorter and students are placed in smaller classes with a more individualized learning setting. Robertson uses a trimester schedule which affords students the opportunity to earn more credit during the school year and the school has the flexibility to award credit as they complete coursework.  Given that the school day ends earlier, they can also attend Fremont Adult School classes in the afternoon, based on availability, to earn additional credits. Robertson students can take ROP classes as well.  Graduates from Robertson need to earn 200 units rather than the 230 units required at the comprehensive high schools like Washington.  (For most classes, students earn 5 units for every class completed with a passing grade.)

If you are interested in attending Robertson, please speak to your counselor. 

Vista Independent Study High School

Vista High School is an independent study program; not a remedial program. Students do not receive direct instruction; instead, students meet with a teacher once a week for two hours to take tests and receive new assignments. Students must have the intellectual capability to read and understand District text books. Students who say they hate to read and hate to do homework will not be successful at Vista. Students must be disciplined, organized and capable of working independently. A supportive and proper study environment is essential and students must commit a minimum of 25 hours toward school work each week. Parents are expected to check the student's school work to insure that it is complete before the student comes to Vista for their weekly appointment, as well as ensure that transportation is available. Attendance is based on completed assignments. If a student misses an appointment or comes to an appointment with little or no work completed, s/he has missed the equivalent of one week of school. Students who are not successful in the Vista program are sent to Robertson or back to their home school. Vista requires 200 units to graduate.

If you are interested in attending Robertson, please speak to your counselor. 

Center for Independent Learning (COIL)

COIL's mission: Our "circle of learning" - student, parent and advisory teacher - works together to develop a personalized plan that best enables the student to discover his or her unique learning style and mature into an independent, lifelong learner. Within this approach, students are provided with opportunities to grow through a variety of classes, activities, and field trips. The student's parent becomes their teacher with the support of the COIL staff; this school uses the homeschooling model.

Website: Coil Charter School

If you are interested in attending COIL, please signup for the parent/guardian informational meeting on the COIL website. 

Fremont Adult School         

With permission from the District Office and Fremont Adult School, students may enroll in Fremont Adult School as full time students when they are 17 1/2 years of age. Counselors are involved in advising and discussing this option and helping the student in this transition in cases where a diploma from the comprehensive high school may be out of reach. Students can elect to pursue a high school diploma at the adult school or they may choose to work toward passing the General Education Development (GED) test. Individualized computer based programs assist students in preparation for the GED test.

Website: Fremont Adult School

California High School Proficiency Test

With parent permission, students who are at least 16 years of age  or have completed the tenth grade have the option of taking this test for a fee. The test is given several times each year. Students must pass both the English and Math sections in order to legally leave high school and are then able to enroll at California Community Colleges, which they are encouraged to do. Some kind of post secondary education is strongly advised.More information about the California High School Proficiency Test can be found at their website: chspe.net