Frequently Asked Questions

What are the AHS Graduation Requirements?







Social Science




Physical Education


Fine Art/F. Language or CTE






Total Credits 


  • Completion of Algebra 1 (both semesters)
  • 40 hours of Service Learning

This is information is also located in the

High School Course Catalog 2020-21 (pdf)

What are the A-G University Requirements for UC's and CSU's?





History/Social Science

2 years



4 years


Math (Alg. 1, Geom, Alg. 2*

3 years


Lab Science (Bio & Chem)*

2 years


Language other than English (same language)*

2 years


Visual and Performing Arts

1 year


College Prep Elective

1 year

Grade of C- or higher is required for all A-G Courses

* UC's recommend an additional year of Math, Lab Science, and language other than English*

What happens if I fail a class?

If you receive an F in a class, you will not earn the subject credits required for graduation. You will have to make-up the course in order to receive credits.

What happens if I receive a D and want to attend a 4-year college?

If you receive a D (or F) in an A-G course, you will need to make-up the class in order to apply directly to a 4-year college. Students may make-up courses in summer school, if the class is offered. There are no AP or honors classes offered during summer session.

Summer school is the best option to make-up credits. For adult school and approved online classes, students must speak to their counselor. Below is a chart that displays available remediation options.






Summer School

(D’s and F’s only)





Adult School

(F’s only, Not College Prep)




(Counselor/Admin Approval Only)




Does my world language from junior high school count for college admissions?

World Language levels earned in junior high will be accepted as meeting college entrance requirements if a grade of C- or better is earned. It is encouraged by universities to continue with language in high school and for students to enroll in languages other than their home language.

Can I take Health online?

Students MAY NOT take Health online, per board policy.  

Can I complete Health over the summer?

No. If you postponed health in your freshman year, you must take it in your junior or senior year.

What are the SAT I and ACT exams?

The SAT and ACT are college admissions exams required for UC's, CSU's, and most out of state and private universities.

Who needs to take the SAT I and/or ACT?

All 4-year college bound students.These tests are not required for Community College.

What test should I take? The SAT I or ACT?

Both exams are usually accepted for college admission and many students opt to complete both.  Students should take either of these exams "with writing."

When do I take the SAT I and/or ACT? 

We recommend that you start these exams the second semester of junior year. Students may opt to retake exams for higher schools. All exams should be completed by senior year (October/November), so that scores are available for college applications.

Where do I sign-up for the SAT or ACT?


                                    SAT registration:   |   ACT registration:


Do I need to take the SAT II (Subject Test)?

The SAT II is optional and not required for CSU's and most UC's. This exam may be required for private colleges. Please check the admissions requirements for any UC's, private schools, and out of state colleges that you may be applying to.

If I decide to take the SAT II, what subjects should I take?

It is recommended that you complete 2-3 subjects, including Math Level II.


Are there Fee Waivers for the SAT/ACT exams?

YES! Counselors have fee waivers for both exams. Please see your counselor to see if you qualify. 


What is the difference between the high school Fine Arts requirement and the college entrance Fine Arts requirements?

High School Requirement

College Requirement

1 year Fine Art or World Language or CTE (Career Technical Education)

1 year college-prep Fine Art


2 years (minimum) World Language


What is a weighted GPA?

AP and UC-approved Honors courses can add weight to your A-G GPA for your CSU and UC admission. The grade is assigned an extra point in the GPA, so that for every A, a student receives 5 points. For every B, 4 points and for every C, 3 points. Weight is not given for D’s or F’s.

Please note, American high school transcripts do not weight grades. The GPA listed on the bottom of your transcript is unweighted. Students must calculate honors and AP courses on their own. Please refer to the CSU and UC websites for more information on how to weight your GPA.

What are college admissions officers looking for?


In general, colleges look at courses taken, grades earned and college entrance exam scores. They look for candidates who will be successful at their institution, who can bring something of value to the student body. Evidence of special talents, interests, activities, athletic ability, leadership or public service may help a candidate get into the school of choice. Read your college catalog or admissions information pamphlets or check college websites.

What is the best extracurricular activity in which to be involved?


Quality over quantity! It is better to be involved or to excel in one or two areas than to have a superficial list of activities that you jumped into so that you could have a long list on your college application. Activities that relate to your future career, improve your special talents, or create projects that meet the school or community's needs will be the ones in which you will excel.  In-depth involvement and excellence will help you stand out from the crowd of other hopeful college applicants.